Remote and removed, the thin strips of interlocking barrier islands along the North Carolina coast and the outer banks of the Outer Banks appear to be more than a part of the Atlantic, along sidewalks, bridges and ferries. Islands and sands, which dune in the river and toss in some winds, like boat bobbing, are the threshold in North America or the end is depending on the direction of travel.
Whether or not the land is defined, travel can include sailing, fishing, canoeing, water skiing, parasailing, hanging out, kite surfing, dune climbing, dolphin watching and sand surfing. However, in the first place, the first English colonists left their mark on the sand, when they conquered their planes, they left their mark on the sand and allowed the sea and the dunes and the wind.
2. From the mountains to the shore
Although these flat, swampy reflections of the Outer Banks could not be found further up the Appalachian Mountains rising to the west, they emerged from these peaks, making it a third yield.
Rivers flowing with rainwater, flowed from the east, descended from the second level or the topographic piece to Piedmont. Outside the coastal streams, which later acted and formed with clays, like their sediment, it emerged from this mountainous origin 25,000 years ago, creating barrier islands and irrigation beaches.
As the currents are only static, their restless forces continue to reshape and re-position these island masterpieces, as the hands of wind and water are constantly reshaping. This dynamic phenomenon is very protective of its protective nature because it protects permanent land and, like shock absorbers, is often the first area of hurricanes and severe weather systems.
Both created and defined by the forces of nature, these sounds make up the second largest US state system after the Chesapeake Bay, covering nearly 3,000 square miles and spilling 30,000 square miles.
"According to the National Park Service," it's a thin, broken island, "entering the Atlantic Ocean and once again at a shelter on the coast of North Carolina and offshore islands."
3. Access and Orientation
The outer bank consists of northern beaches, with towns like Kitty Hawk, Kill Devil Hills and Nags Head; Roanoke Island; and Cape Hatteras National Sea, Bodie, Hatteras and Ocracoke Islands.
The scheduled air service is at Norfolk and Raleigh-Durham International airports, respectively, in Virginia and North Carolina, while charter fights are operating at Dare County Regional Airport on Roanoke Island. Private jets to serve the first flight Airstrip at Kill Devil Hills and Billy Mitchell Airport on Hatteras Island.
By road, Outer Banks serves US 158 and Wright Memorial Bridge from the north and US 64.2 miles from Virginia Dare Memorial Bridge, Roanoke Island, Nags Head-dip Causeway and Washington Baum. West. From the North, the route runs up to four lanes of US 158 art and runs 16.5 miles across the island, to shops, outlets, restaurants and attractions. The narrow, two-lane NC 12 – also known as "Beach Road" – offers residential communities, hotels and restaurants, often overlooking the Atlantic. The road itself descended on Hatteras Island and, following the additional ferry departure, Ocracoke Island.
4. Kitty Hawk
Contrary to consensus belief and aviation history books, Kitty Hawk was not the site of the world's first successful flight, though it remained at Wright Brothers. Instead, that historic event happened about four miles south of Kill Devil Hills. However, there is still an aeronautical attraction next to the Aycock Brown Welcome Center. This provides brochures and travel planning information about nearby sights, restaurants, entertainment, shops and hotels.
Named the Century Flight of Monument, it was founded by Icarus International and celebrated the centenary of the flight dedicated on November 8, 2003, to celebrate the escape and mysteries of the history of the human spirit and the rise. Located in the open sky of Kitty Hawk to create an observational environment. The monument is made up of 14 stainless steel piles to reflect the Wright Brothers' first flight distance of ten to 20 feet. December 17, 1903 and man traveled to heaven and space to represent the ascent.
"Man is a trailblazer of pioneers," according to the monument, "sharing dreamless times and unlimited opportunities in the vast, unexplored world."
Black granite panels are engraved with 100 of the most significant bird achievements of the past century, and a center, six-meter-diameter dome depicts the continents of the earth, and is inscribed with the words: "When Orville Wright lifted the remains of Kitty Hawk on the morning of December 10, 1903, to the moon and they went beyond. "
5. Dying Devil Hills
Kill Devil Hills is, of course, the site of the world's first controlled and controlled flight and is a tribute to the Wright Brothers National Memorial, viewed from 158 U.S. states.
Although they grew up in The Wrights in Dayton, Ohio, they conducted their initial uncontrolled aircraft (aircraft) and aircraft (plane) experiments in North Carolina. saline, minimal damage landings, and isolation of the press and audience.
According to the Visitor Center Museum, sporting exhibits, 1902 birds and 1903 Wright Flyer reproductions, National Park Services and a conference and program and a book / gift shop, the brothers ’inspired and inspired designs were based on four aerodynamic principles. pioneers: Sir George Cayley (1773-1857), who laid the same foundation for aerodynamics; Alphonse Penaud (1850-1880), built a rubber band-based model piano and flew 131 feet; Otto Lilienthal (1848-1896), conducted extensive aviation experiments; and Octave Chanute (1832-1910), which became a virtual home for all aircraft-related developments and published in the book "Progress in Flying Machines." The Wright Brothers biplane aircraft, in fact, was its virtual copy.
According to the museum, the souvenir is the birthplace of the aircraft. "Here, on December 17, 1903, Wilbur and Orville Wright made the first successful flight in world history," they say. "Wrights believed that human escape was possible and could be achieved through systematic analysis."
Systematic insights, coupled with intuitive mechanical ability and analytical intelligence, could be understood as counter-weight gain and drag, but more importantly, this flight could only be conquered by its three lateral, longitudinal and vertical axes. . This lack of understanding caused all previous experimenters to fail.
Designed to control surfaces and maintain aircraft stability, unable to capture aircraft, they were subjected to hundreds of shots near Kill Devil Hill for the successful Wright Flyer.
Two of the buildings rebuilt are the 1903 Wright Brothers' camp, with a hangar on the left and a factory and a living room, a stove, a pantry, a table and a staircase to the left to hang slates. from the rafts that served as their meeting place.
The eleven-grain granite rock marks the departure of four successful flights on December 17, 1903, and the markers located on the field indicate the distance and air time required to reach each.
While controlling the Wright Flyer as Wilbur served as his "ground crew" and stabilized the wings, Orville divorced that historic day at 10:35 a.m., covering 120 meters in 12 seconds, while Wilbur himself, in his next attempt, covered 175 meters at the same time. The last fight flew 200 seconds in 15 seconds, and the longest, and longest, crossed 852 feet in 59 seconds. Subsequently, aircraft damage, along with the end-of-season weather, prevented further testing and the brothers returned. To Ohio.
According to the American National Aeronautics Association lifted rocket on December 17, 1928, to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the event, "The first successful flight of an aircraft was made from this place on December 17, 1903. A machine was designed and built by Wilbur Wright and Orville Wright. "
The sea's first sand and sand dunes, which were still in the wind as Wright's aircraft and powerful designs, were now replaced by a rugged green field, but the aerodynamic forces are invisible. However, the tip of the grass still sparked a memory of this event a century later.
The distance to the starting point of the fourth and furthest marker from the starting point requires a quick walk using human-supplied feet, but in 1903 the bird's wings were covered. €. Wrights successfully intersected human and animal species, manifested as machines.
The 60-meter monument, now 90 feet above the sand-covered Kill Devil Hill, with a 3,000-foot runway from First Bird Airport, is the starting point for hundreds of Wright's power aircraft.
"… the remains make us pretty blind," they wrote at the time. "It throws clouds on the ground. We certainly can't complain about the place. We went here looking for wind and sand and we got them."
A full-size stainless steel sculpture by the Wright Flyer, located at the end of the hill, at its base, and weighing more than 10,000 pounds, represented the first historic flight with photographer John Daniels from its lifeguard station. , about to take a single photo taken.
The Centennial Pavilion, in the Visitor Center, museum and flight room parking lot, offers movie and aircrafts and an Outdoor Bench.
6. Head of Generals
Kill miles from Devil Hills a few miles south at Nags head is another flying attraction, Jockey's Ridge State Park.
One of 35 state parks in North Carolina and one of four recreational sites, from Mitchell Mountain (the highest peak on the west), to the Jockey's East Ridge, the 425-acre facility sports the highest coastal sand dune, over the years. , the height has changed from 90 to 110 feet.
The Visitor Center provides a museum with photographs of the dunes and their evolution. It also offers an exhibition on the flora and fauna of the area. Two hiking trails provide a great exhibit to the park: a 45-minute Soundside Nature Trail and 1.5 miles of trails. On the sand. But her jewel is the dune itself, and it's synonymous with hanging. The way Kill Devil Hills was the birthplace of a jet engine, it was Nags Head looking for a personal and powerful flight, as the sport continues here.
Francis Rogallo, like the Wright Brothers nearly five decades ago, laid the foundations of the sport and is thus "the father of modern hanging." In an attempt to make everyone more accessible and accessible to the fly, in 1948 he flew to the sky with a flying wing that he collected from his wife's kitchen recipes, "My intention was to give flights first."
Following the footprints on Wright's beach until he disappeared into the sky, he used foot-launch techniques less than five miles from those used in the Kill Devil Hills.
The Kitty Hawk Kites, which serves the Jockey's Ridge and was founded in 1974, teaches both the boot and hang gliding procedure, and is now the largest such flight in the world, with over 300,000 students on its roster.
Initially, the lesson taught by certified teachers involves land summation, dune kicking, and positioning at a height of five to 15 feet.
The spectacular hanging, the longest hanging competition, is held annually at Jockey's Ridge.
7. Roanoke Island
Eight miles long and two miles wide between the northern beaches of the Outer Banks and the Dare Peninsula, in addition to the sand, is the site of the first English settlement in the New World and has many attractions to interpret.
Dip, its commercial and governmental hub, is a seaport and seaport city of artists, fishermen, lodges, bed and breakfasts, coffee shops, gift shops, galleries, restaurants, promenades and Shallowbag Bay. history is reflected in street names such as Queen Elizabeth Avenue and Sir Walter Raleigh Street.
Named the Croatian leader who returned with the first English explorers at the end of the century, which he incorporated as a town in 1899, he offers several views. Magnolia Marketplace, for example, is an open air pavilion for events sponsored by the people. Tranquil House Inn, located on Elizabeth Queen Avenue, looks like a great 19th-century Outer Banks hotel with cypress wood, stained glass windows, back porches with bay views, bedside tables, a continental breakfast, afternoon wine and cheese and theirs. 1587 restaurant.
Another attraction is the North Carolina Maritime Museum, the largest in Beaufort and located on the George Washington Creef estuary, overlooking Croatan Sound. Prior to the 1939 fire, the area was the site of a shipbuilding dip and the current structure was built by Creef's son the following year, designed by his father to repair the shadows and later become the official ship of the state.
Having more workshops than the museum allows visitors, mostly volunteers, to observe the restoration and reconstruction of wooden helmets, even though the boat itself is visible, along with many other memorabilia.
A promenade leads to other views of the city, the Roanoke Marshes Lighthouse. Reconstruction outside the plaza, like shacks, screw-driven docks by the narrow lane between Pamlico and Croat in the south of the island in the area called "Roanoke Swamps" from 1877 to 1955, was canceled. year, but the water swallowed in an attempt to relocate.
The current replica, a white light, with a fourth-order Fresnel lens, was offered in 2004. In it Mayor John Wilson said: "In the years to come, as the islands mingle with visitors, let's remember that, in this place, with so many ships built and launched, dreams still light the way … a lighthouse throws its soothing star to the night sky … "
Photos and exhibits of the lighthouse and sea history can be located inside.
On Queen Elizabeth Avenue and quickly walk over the Cora Mae Bas Bridge to Roanoke Island Festival Park (a complex 25-acre outdoor living history that celebrates America's first famous settlement in America), there is plenty of entertainment.
The Indian capital of America, for example, portrays Algerian coastal culture, which flourished for thousands of years on Roanoke Island and surrounding towns until the 1500s. At that point, the life of his nomadic hunter became more sedentary, becoming more agriculturally based.
There was no written language. Accordingly, first-hand accounts of English explorers, archaeological remains and tales told in the region, and oral traditions of craftsmanship provided the basis for park exhibits.
Under the command of Queen Elizabeth I, an initial expedition organized by Sir Walter Raleigh, but carried out by Captain Arthur Barlowe and scientist Thomas Harriot, came to the outskirts of the New World in 1584, and both recorded land impressions. the hope of colonization is indicative of the type in which they found the reproduction of the small Indian people.
The principal structure in any town of Pluto was a "heritage" or "chief" house and was divided into an internal perimeter, intended for public use and a guest reception and entertainment area and indoor rooms, where private functions were located. , such as high school reunions and family activities.
Several English explorers greeted Granganimeo's wife, who was their leader, and then took him to the outer perimeter of the house. There they warmed the fire, washed their feet, and washed their clothes, before moving into an interior room. for a party.
Another typical settlement structure was the market. Protected by tree stumps, the roof was peeled off from young trees, it took a curved roof to reduce the damage to the wind, damaging the poles. The structure was then covered with creeks or barns.
The mats or animal skins were equally covered with small doors to reduce heat loss.
Other houses, outdoor cooking and eating areas, and work shelters surrounded the hut, and corn and other staples were usually grown on the ground.
Locations were normally sheltered between 100 and 200, and were vacant when the land was not cultivated, although it usually restored to a decade between abandonment and occupation.
The lifestyle of India is further illustrated by exhibitions on the preparation of chickens and food, canoes and fishing gear.
The highlight of Roanoke Island Festival Park is the Elizabeth II boat tour and visit, like the rest of the site, by costume performers.
Founded in 1983 at the Bay Museum of North Carolina at the Bay, the replica, 69 feet long and 17 feet wide, is then part of a three-masted merchant ship. Colonel Thomas Cavendish's expedition was created to transport a second origin, or, in 1585, the ship, to celebrate the 400th anniversary of the event, uses rumble bleached in his kidneys and white gold. , frame and flooring. Even the small boat, with a displacement of 50 tons and a mast of 65 meters, which was mainly intended for European commercial voyages, crossed the open sea.
Between 1584 and 1590, eight English expeditions took place, 22 ships and 1,200 soldiers, sailors and colonizers (including 28 women and children).
The location of the complex, which represents the first English military on American soil, has a sergeant's tent, ironworks and blacksmith's shop, a lath and shed set up for foot and rope.
In addition to these exhibits, the Roanoke Island Festival Park also hosts the Visitor Center; a movie, "The Legend of Two-Path;" Roanoke Adventure Museum; and a significant gift shop.
The chronicle of the earliest settlers in England is carved out in another important attraction on Roanoke Island, Fort Raleigh National Historic Site.
Although Sir Walter Raleigh himself had never been to the New World, Queen Elizabeth I issued a letter, as has already been told, in 1584 the first of three so-called "Roanoke Travels" to choose the first to launch a site to America. colonization, setting up a camp to attack Spanish ships and search for precious metals, such as gold. He arrived in July.
On returning to England, the island, with its sheltered edges, was decided to be in a perfect location, and the land was seen in a very good way, as stated by Captain Arthur Barlowe in a report to Sir Walter Raleigh.
"We found the soil pleasant and fertile," he wrote, "full of good cedars and many other sweet forests, with flowers, lilies, and many remarkable products. It is the most abundant, sweetest, most fruitful and healthy world."
The next year a second expedition sent 108 soldiers, intended to fulfill its claim to England permanently.
Towards this more permanent setting, a fortress was erected on the north side of the island, but a decline in polite relations with Native Americans had previously begun when the English fell into disease and were trapped in the winter. As crops and food became warmer months, Colombians became increasingly dependent until their indigenous relations were tightened. The assassination of Chief Wingina, the most important event in the history of the fugitive colony, sealed Europe's fate and thereafter became "enemies."
The long-awaited supply ships, late in the day, encouraged him to return to England with the first option, and when Sir Francis Drake went to Roanoke Island, that opportunity presented itself. However, fifteen settlers remained in the fort and already claimed land.
Again crossing the Atlantic on the third expedition in 1587, 117 men, women and children, in order to establish a fixed settlement and to be more representative of the true population, were ordered by the individual land department.
However, when they returned to Roanoke Island to supply the original 15 inland again before forming another village, they found no trace of them.
John White, appointed governor of the new colony, returned to England with only what was intended as a short supply voyage, but conflicting events, including naval ships, did not leave his departure again until 1590. This trip, along with those of the descendants at the turn of the century, also failed to find the lost settlers, leaving only a seemingly abandoned fortress and some artifacts.
However, they were asked to notify if they chose to leave the area or prove that any breach was detrimental to their safety, and the letters "CRO" were carved into a tree and the full word "CROATAN" appeared. in a portal post, both about the tribe and perhaps the reason for their demise.
Although the excavations continue, no definitive reason has been found, leaving three assumptions: they died of natural causes, were attacked, or voluntarily left, but where and by what means they have never been determined, if they were the third. the theory is true.
Part of this story is told by artifacts found in the fort's excavation and displayed in the Lindsay Warren Visitor Center museum. Noteworthy is the ornate wooden table on an estate in Elizond, before hanging on the walls of Heronden Hall in Kent, England. It was purchased by William Randolph Hearst in 1926 in San Simeon, California. It was acquired by the National Park Service in the 1960s. The visitor center bedrooms, for example, would be dominated by the homes of wealthy men, such as Sir Walter Raleigh himself.
An outer track leads to the creation of the reconstructed fort. "On this site, according to the stone marker that existed before it," in July-August, 1585, the colonies sent by Sir Walter Raleigh to England built a fortress called the "New Fortress of Virginia." These settlers were the first English settlers of the American race to America. They returned to England in July 1586 with Sir Francis Drake. From this place was born August 18, 1587, the first child of the English parents of Virginia Dare. Born in America. "
The historic history of the first English settlers, billed as the "true story of adventure, courage and sacrifice", is "enriched, educated and entertained" by The Lost Colony and runs from late May to late May. August at the Outdoor Water Theater, Fort Raleigh National Historic Site. Based on the story written by the Pulitzer Prize-winning author Paul Green, it first appeared in 1937, but since then it has worked with over 100 actors, singers and dancers. the disappearance of the settlers through royal page, Indian dance, epic battles, Elizabethan music and elaborate costumes.
Another local attraction is the Elizabethan Gardens, which is a 10.5-hectare botanical garden, accessed by brick and sand paths and offers over a thousand different types of trees, shrubs and flowers.
"Created in honor of the first English settlers in pain," according to the museum, "History, mystery, and fantasy combine in these unique gardens created by the Garden Club's Garden Club in 1951. The first English settlers came to explore the New World and live on Roanoke Island.
In front of the front door, a sign in front of the garden entrance and gift shop, says, "The Lost Colony Symphonic Outdoor Drama & # 39; & # 39; s play planted a seed in this creative thinking that first came to mind this garden."
They stand out in this quiet oasis. The Queen Elizabeth I statue, for example, is the highest honor in the world, while the Virginia Dare statue is smaller. Handmade bricks, gargantuan benches, seasonal flowers, a marble table, and stone birds explain the view of the garden from Overlook Terrace. The Colony Walk is an honor for lost settlers who have long been on the edge and are packed with coastal tolerant plants. Norfolk Docks were used on the large roof of a replica of a century-old observatory. The Camellia Collection contains more than 125 species of flowers. The ancient oak is believed to have survived from the time the island was lived in 1585.
Another attraction on Roanoke Island is the North Carolina Aquarium, one of three state-owned facilities along the coast. Located on the edge of Roanoke Sound, exactly a short distance from Dare County Regional Airport, the theme is "Outdoor Water Banking."
The coastal plain of North Carolina, as shown by its "Coastal Freshwaters" display, offers a variety of freshwater habitats. Streams and rivers flow through marshes, wells and other wetlands on their way to the sounds. Waterways connect all of these habitats, allowing natural wildlife to pass through.
Albemarle Sound is fed by seven rivers. In order to survive in the sound itself, plants and animals must be able to adapt to changes in salinity, caused by rain and drafts.
River lands and alligators roam the edges of the banks, and other displays include "Marine Communities" and the "Open Ocean."
The aquarium's focal axis is a 285,000-gallon exhibit called Atlantic Cemetery, with more than 200 fish and the largest collection of sharks in North Carolina.